Thursday, January 22, 2009

The 81st Annual Academy Awards

The 2009 Academy Awards nominations have just been announced. Click on Oscar for a link to the list:


2009 Oscar List


Among the nominations are a bunch of films on my list to watch: Slumdog Millionaire, Rachel Getting Married, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, and Changeling.

One movie that I hadn't planned to see is Revolutionary Road but given its 3 nods, perhaps it is worth checking out??

Also not on my radar, The Wrestler with Mickey Rourke.

Great to see Richard Jenkins nominated for Best Actor in The Visitor.

It is rare to ever see comedies get the slightest nod (animated ones excluded), so it's interesting to see that Robert Downey Jr. has a Best Supporting Actor nomination for Tropic Thunder. (A movie that was hilariously bad. Completely vulgar but--when I saw it--kept a full theater laughing out loud). Since he's up against the late Heath Ledger for his role in The Dark Knight, I have a feeling that poor ol' Downey isn't going to win.

Unfortunately I have yet to see any of the Foreign Language Films or documentaries on the list. That will soon change....

No comments:

Post a Comment